Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem difficulty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allewyn
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: problem difficulty Reply with quote

playing through beginner level problems, I began seeing Mate in 10, Mate in 14 problems? Do you really believe beginners should know how to think that deeply?
ChessHobby
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! These problems are too much for beginners (at least for me).
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This anomaly is explained by the fact that solvers do not actually try to solve these long problems. They just animate to view the solution. The applet then marks the problem "correctly solved" and the number of correctly solved/tries grows. The applet uses this relation to categorize the problem- there is no human intervention here. If the relation is big enough, the problem is set to Beginner category independent of its actual difficulty.
Aristotle
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the applet should mark an animated solution as "unsolved". So it is on 'goproblems.com'. I find the design logic on 'goproblems.com' generally better than on 'chessproblems.com'. This is strange considering that 'chessproblems' was developed after 'goproblems' and would be expected to be at least on the same level.
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully concur with Aristotle's opinion here. It seems that development of the applet's features has stopped some time ago. Some of the other needed things are below in the ToDo -list:

(1) Allow the change of the user profile.
(2) Restore smileys and user icons
(3) Changes on Caissa's logic: Repair the aversion of mate that allow 'Fool problems'.
(4) Restore the Copy/Paste possibility on Edit >PGN field.
(5) Make submitted comments editable for the user (Just like here) so that you need not comment again to correct previous error.

Once again Adum, if you are out there, take note!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: