Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rubbish problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adzzzz
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: rubbish problems Reply with quote

Please remove rubbish problems ( like most of my attempts ) quickly. I suggest a quick laugh then instant removal.
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dear Adzzzz. You can do that yourself! Just click 'Sandbox problem' in the left off the screen and pooof! it disappears from the general view.
MaltaCross
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: adzzzz is really on the ball here ! Reply with quote

Perhaps one can delete one's own work, but what about that of others. For instance, consider problem 287. No less than five different registered users have commented that this is problem is not a forced mate, including mrmip himself ! Yet this problem, which was originally added way back in January 2006, remains online !

So there is more point to adzzzz's suggestion than mrmips is willing to concede. Perhaps the administrator should recruit registered users to voluntary find such 'rubbish problems' and remove them (and so protect the quality of this site). Or else, the administrator should check those problems that have lots of comments, and see which ones should be weeded out !

I really hope that something is done about this annoying matter. You spend precious minutes trying to figure the problem, only to find out in the end that there is actually no forced mate ! SOMETHING SHOULD REALLY BE DONE !
papadoble
Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a new 'rate rubbishness' option Evil or Very Mad
My bet is that this new rating would be less biaised than the 'coolness' rating Very Happy
rinitz
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the problems, who are not correct absolutly. Like variations or like my 2. problem, who has a "little" dual at the beginning i can't get rid off (although i like it) - should they be removed then?
Another thing is, that i have no software to check my problems and i recognize that i still make quite some erros, but if i sandbox the problems, noone looks at them to check.
Any suggestions for that?
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a problem with two solutions, but otherwise to your satisfaction, it need not be discarded. You just state "2 solutions" as a part of the stipulation. (Several helpmates are of this kind).

As for the solving/checking program there are several freeware programs available here:
http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/softeng.htm
see the chess problems part.

Also if you have a Fritz or other ChessBase programs, chances are that there is Mate -engine included. If anything else fails and you only need to check mate-in-2 (Or mate-in-1) problems, you can use my 'Mipso Facto' engine, available from my home site.

I wonder why nobody has established an online problem solving site, where you just provide the Fen-string and the script responds with a solution... ?
papadoble
Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is fine to me to post 'work in progress', that is not completely finished problems. This way, you can benefit from other members' comments and hopefully improve your compositions.
Keep the good work! Very Happy
(and get a software)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: