Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High memory footprint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billygotee
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: High memory footprint Reply with quote

I have a suggestion (in addition to the bug posted at http://www.chessproblems.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=293):

The memory footprint of the chess problem applet, when loaded, is in the range of 100MB to 200MB+. Could some of this be saved by down-sampling the image resolutions a bit?

Also, I wonder that the AI is even necessary outside of the sandbox. If, as a user, I move a piece and notice that the computer hasn't immediately made a move afterwards, I know that my choice was incorrect. If there are multiple answers to one problem, should it be up to the problem designers to accommodate for them by marking incorrect choices as "Off path"? If not, it might make more sense to do all AI calculations (up to the stated "Mate in x" number of moves) on the server-side, during the problem submission stage.

It might even be better to let the user choose whether or not they'd like to have AI, and if not, the chess girl says "Off path" when an incorrect choice is made.

Just some ideas. Thanks again for an excellent service.

-Brandon
papadoble
Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billy and welcome to the site Smile
I have the impression that this site is no longer maintained by its creators, I have never seen any change since I joined. Better use your energy to solve and post problems! Very Happy
adum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumors that this site is unmaintained are not entirely true... i hope =) i have plans to do some improvements in the near future.

there is no reason why the chess applet should take 100mb. the images should only be a few k. i'll have to see if this 100mb+ happens on my machine.

for the computer responses -- sometimes valid solution paths will still have the computer search for a move. i know i've added problems that do this. at least on the mate in 2 or 3 problems this can be a realistic approach.

adum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: