Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  

This puzzle is
Crazy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Boring
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OK
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Sneaky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Does Not Compute
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

DominicW
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Adding problems Reply with quote

First of all, let me say that I am really impressed by the way this site allows the problems to be edited, showing all the routes etc. It's clear and intuitive, and I picked up how to edit a puzzle (new puzzle 1202 which I just added) in no time. It really seems well-honed, and looks very late-Noughties in style.

But I had a couple of problems editing - both pretty minor:

(1) I entered a comment in the box at the top, and used RETURN to ensure that each line was no longer than the available space, and therefore that only vertical scrolling was required to read the comment. (Yes, it was a long comment!) But after completing edit, when I reviewed it, the text had been converted into a single long line (I suppose that at least only horizontal scrolling is required, so it's not too bad!)

(2) I realised after adding some paths that a piece was in the wrong place. It did not affect the paths entered, so I ignored the warnings and moved it anyway. I then found that the paths already entered showed the piece in the wrong position. However, completing my edit did actually resolve the problem, so this was only a temporary issue which lasts only until the edit is saved.

Any comments on this puzzle much appreciated; it is one I made up myself, but not sure if it's quite the sort of puzzle you want on this site.

Dominic
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply love the problems with a retroanalytic content!
Dear DominicW (and others). You are invited to visit my site:

http://www.mrmip.net/

where there are some more retro puzzles, especially on new wing.
DominicW
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Retroanalysis Reply with quote

A fascinating branch of retroanalysis called "dead reckoning" is explained at http://www.geocities.com/anselan/deadreckoning.html - these utilise the law of chess which states that the game finishes once a draw becomes inevitable. It's amazing that a chess puzzle with only 2 pieces on the board can be interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: