Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have some moderators to fix problems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCzlapinski
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Have some moderators to fix problems. Reply with quote

Unfortunately a lot of problems don't get fixed. It is frustrating when you give a correct answer and it says wrong. I would be willing to be a moderator to fix problems when the submitter doesn't fix it within some time frame (week seems reasonable). That is one of the strong points of goproblems.com is that many of the problems do get fixed by moderators when the submitter doesn't fix them. Although it would be nice to have a place to bring problems to attention of a moderator there as well.
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea!
Adum do nominate Brother LCzlapinski as a moderator.

I promise to complain about everything Smile
adum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's a good idea. okay, you two are now moderators =) let me know if it doesn't work...

thanks!

adum
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adum wrote:
yeah, that's a good idea. okay, you two are now moderators =) adum

Gee thanks, I hardly can bear the responsibility..... Wink

But does this entail in practise that I am able to fix other people's puzzles? Or is it more like a honorary title?

mrmip
LCzlapinski
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adum wrote:
yeah, that's a good idea. okay, you two are now moderators =) let me know if it doesn't work...

thanks!

adum

I can sandbox ok. How do I view a list of sandboxed problems?
adum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But does this entail in practise that I am able to fix other people's puzzles? Or is it more like a honorary title?

fix away, please =)

Quote:

I can sandbox ok. How do I view a list of sandboxed problems?

hmmn, i'm not sure i ever implemented that. i'll try to do it soon...

thanks,
adum
Tomas
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Quantity vs. Quality Reply with quote

The moderator should also control what is posted and the quality of it.
Tomas
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site has of late being flooded by problems by one specific source. I will not name it, but it does not take a brain surgeon to find out Rolling Eyes .

Some of these problems are by known compositors and very good, some others are of questionable quality. As a moderator I will take an affirmative action and remove those problems, I consider bad.

So that I will not be accused to be of 'Chesstapo' Cool , I will publicly announce here the grounds for removal. The problem will be removed, if

* The composer is not given and the problem is obviously composed by other than setter in my judgement. (If I knew the composer and have indicated him/her in comments - the problem stays)

* The solution given is wrong or wishful thinking...

* The problem is of genre, not supported by applet (say helpmate)

* If there is no stipulation given for the problem.

I believe that these criteria, when fairly observed, will aid in keeping the use of this fine site more pleasant for everyone.

Your friendly moderator, mrmip
adum
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, mrmip... i think you are more familiar with these problems than i.

although, on reflection, i should say that some problems do not need attribution. there are a lot of problems in the common domain. you see books full of the same problems. i think these tend to be the more straightforward problems.

now, things that are more compositional, where the position is unrealistic, and it's always a white to mate, and there's a key move, and the problem has been entered into a competition and all that stuff -- those definitely need an attribution.

thoughts?

adum
Fiona
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Have some moderators to fix your problems Reply with quote

You guys are so correct with this topic!!!

Last edited by Fiona on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mrmip
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adum wrote:
sounds good, mrmip... i think you are more familiar with these problems than i.
although, on reflection, i should say that some problems do not need attribution. there are a lot of problems in the common domain. you see books full of the same problems. i think these tend to be the more straightforward problems. ... thoughts?
adum

I agree with the above reasoning, adum. Where a presented problem is clearly tactics or combination from a game in a book, the source need not be specified. However, if it ends to a mate in more than 3 moves, I strongly suggest a stipulation of white (black) to win rather than mate in N. The reasons for this are:

- It is not uncommon that there is a (stupid) countermove that still loses , but takes the mate over stipulated number !

- Perhaps more importantly the applet does not cope well with tries in a long mate puzzle. If given a wrong move it "freezes" trying to find a counter or after restart still runs in the background analysing the try. In a 'white to win'-problem you will have an immediate "Off path" response to an unprovided move.
LCzlapinski2
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adum wrote:

thanks!

adum

Adum, when you get a chance please add me as a moderator. Thanks!
Versigo
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmip wrote:

- It is not uncommon that there is a (stupid) countermove that still loses , but takes the mate over stipulated number !

In that case, the problem is incorrect and needs to be fixed or removed!

mrmip wrote:

- Perhaps more importantly the applet does not cope well with tries in a long mate puzzle. If given a wrong move it "freezes" trying to find a counter or after restart still runs in the background analysing the try. In a 'white to win'-problem you will have an immediate "Off path" response to an unprovided move.

Changing a problem's stipulation should not be done so light-headed-ly, especially not in order to bypass a "mate in N" technical issue by exploiting a "white to win" feature!

In order to avoid this situation, composers should give a black refutation to each white try, so that the solver will get the appropriate "wrong" response along with the reason, and not just an "off path" response.
MetalSight
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i be a moderator too?
cupidsrose
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Hello everybody. Reply with quote

hello everyone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: