Chess Problems Forum Index Chess Problems
Chess Problems

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect problems - way too much

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Sarmiento
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Incorrect problems - way too much Reply with quote

In my opinion certain people should put a lot more attention to the correctness of their problems before submitting them. Checking one last time that everything works like it should be before submitting a problem shouldn't be too much to ask for. Personally I don't like the idea of spending my time trying to solve a problem that doesn't have a solution which I have noticed being the case many times lately.

As a problem composer one is responsible of the correctness of her problems. Everyone can make mistakes sometimes and thats ok. But if one goes on submitting problems which don't have correct solution, have too many of them or have other faults there is no way to excuse that. A composer who neglets these things doesn't respect those who spend their time trying to solve her problems.
IndianKnight
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Agreement Reply with quote

Your right. They should put more thought. For one, I found 7 more possible solutions!!!
Daniel Sarmiento
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably refering to problem number 1420 submitted by papadoble. That problem has only one solution and not seven as you tend to claim. He has submitted some good stuff and is definitely one of my favourite problem submitters here. Exclamation
IndianKnight
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Mistake Reply with quote

Sorry! I said solutions to his comments box. I ment variations. There are 7 more with Rg2. Such as Qxf7... Thanks!
metateck
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: EndGame Studies Reply with quote

My biggest pet peve is when somebody submits a problem (this is most common with endgame studies) where there are several solutions... Unless the submitter submits every solution, You can wind up off path very early on with a possibly correct move. I know this is hard to avoid but please make an effort to do so if possible. Also, if a plausible move is incorrect, rather than just not putting it in the variation, put it in the variation and put the full line in that shows why it is incorrect (this is unnecessary for mate in 2 or 3 since you can just see that the line does not lead to mate) but sometimes it is nice to know why something doesnt work rather than just seeing the woman tell me i am off path.
Department of Mathematics
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tomas
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Total agreement with Daniel Sarmiento Reply with quote

Something must be done about posting. There are some basic rules about what a problem is and what is not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chess Problems Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: